Friday, August 08, 2008

What's your Brick Wall?

If you have read, seen, or heard the Last Lecture by Randy Pausch then you know that brick walls were put there for other people.  (If you haven't heard this lecture or read it, you should click the link and see what it is about.)

After reading his lecture I started looking at all the brick walls I have encountered in my life.  I've looked at the ones that stopped me in my tracks and the ones that I was able to bust through.  I've pondered what might have happened if I had made other choices.  Not because I regret my decisions, quite the opposite.  I love who I am and where I have come from.  I just wonder what it was about the various walls that changed my actions.

I'm coming up on my 40th birthday (well not this year, but soon enough) and I feel that I have reached another crossroad.  I am now looking for my next brick wall. 

What is it that I want so bad for the next leg of my life's journey that no brick wall will keep me from it?    

I know that I want freedom to spend time with my husband and children.  I want to have more control over my working environment, I want to contribute in a positive way to our culture and our impact on the planet, and I want to nurture the creative spirit in me.  I know that I will bust through any brick wall to have these things.

I may encounter several brick walls on my quest.   By holding true to my vision I know that I will have the strength to continue.  I know that going through a brick wall can be scary and painful, but the rewards on the other side are worth it.

There is one other thing that I want as I move forward.   I want to help others break through their own brick walls.   So I ask you . . .

When was the last time you looked at your brick walls?  




No comments: