Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Say what?

Integrity seems to be in very short demand these days.

Granted, it is not in human nature to be completely honest all of the time. There are occasions where we bend the truth or edit our internal dialogue to spare feelings. It just seems that lately people use sparing someone's feelings as a convenient excuse for being dishonest.

It's important to be careful how we present ourselves to the world. If we claim that, "I would never _______, because it's been done to me and I don't want anyone else to feel that way," then when push comes to shove we better be prepared to stick with that commitment. When we speak without thinking things through we may unintentionally call into question our integrity with our future actions. However unintentional it may be, the damage once done is hard, if not impossible, to repair.

I make no claims to be any better at this than the next person, but only by pointing these things out do I set myself on a course to correct the areas of my life that I do not like.

Take a moment to call your own thoughts and actions into consciousness and ask yourself, "do the words I speak match my actions? "

No comments: